Monday, August 30, 2010

Place Value Lesson

Another lesson that I used on occasion during the After School Learning Academy focused on teaching children place value, as well as testing basic multiplication, division, subtraction and addition skills. It was called "What's my number?", and the students really enjoyed it. I created a worksheet that had several of the exact same sentences in a row. For Example:

The number in the _____________ place is ________________
The number in the _____________ place is ________________

I repeated this 7 times so we could have numbers into the millions place. I would then fill in the blanks with different information. For example:

The number in the thousands place is 5
The number in the tens place is the number of wheels on 3 bikes
The number in the ones place is 15 - 9
The number in the hundreds place is half a dozen + 2

The students would then have to fill in the first of two blanks on the bottom of the worksheet which said

My number is _, _ _ _, _ _ _

Who has _, _ _ _, _ _ _

As I made these worksheets I made sure to put them in order, and I would put the number from the previous worksheet on the bottom of the worksheet where it said "Who has _, _ _ _, _ _ _". The student would fill in the blank for their number and read it. They would then read the part that said
"Who has _, _ _ _, _ _ _"

For example a student who had the clues given above would fill in the following

My number is_, _ _ 5,866

And then read the number I had written for them

Who has _, 645, 489

The student who had 649, 489 would then stand up and say

My number is _, 649, 489

Who has _, _ 25, 720

This would continue until the number came back to me, as I would always be sure to keep the first sheet myself. Another exciting lesson the kids really seemed to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment