Monday, August 30, 2010

Fun lesson for teaching fractions, decimals and percentages

Last year I taught a group of 5th graders at the Thomaston Learning Academy. It was an honor and a privilege to work with these wonderful young people, and I hope they enjoyed the experience as well. My primary goal was to prepare these students for the CMT exams, and since this was an after school academy I wanted to make it high interest and get the students involved in their learning. One of the lessons that I taught the children was about the differences and similarities between percentages, fractions, and decimals. In order to get this concept across I made index cards with one of these types of numbers on them (example: one card with 20%, one with the fraction 40/100, another with the decimal.65 etc). I then gave each child a different card at random, and their job was to use their cards to put themselves in a line going from the smallest number to the largest number. The hard part was that they could not talk to each other during this time, so they needed to help each other get in order and communicate without speaking. It was a very fun activity that the students really enjoyed, as they were able to get out of their seats and interact with their peers while learning. I look forward to using this activity in my classroom again.

No comments:

Post a Comment